A reminder about cookies... as a user of our site you're agreeing to the use of cookies. Find out more.
Live chat by BoldChat

Call us FREE on 0800 520 0699
Search Our Site

16, 17 or looking for childrens travel insurance - try these companies to find your ideal policy

There is nothing more frustrating than putting a search into Google for childrens travel insurance and being presented with a list of companies who cannot help you - so use our shortcut to the companies who really do offer travel insurance for the under 18s who are travelling independently.

Publication date: 30th April 2012

Subjects: travel insurance, under 18, 16, 17, travel cover, travel policies

Getting a good travel policy for your first trip abroad is an essential part of planning that first holiday without the parents. But many comparison sites don't quote for travellers under the age of 18, meaning the search can be more difficult than it might be.

Most annual family travel policies don't offer cover for children travelling on their own (although if that is what you are after check out Flexicover below), so getting their own policy is normally a must. Additionally without the life experience that is gained with years its important to pick a policy that will cover any activities that might be undertaken on a break - parents will not want a phone call to say an injury after a banana boating incident won't be covered or where a ambulance driver needs convincing that the travel policy will pay their bill!

Our normal travel insurance supplier doesn't cover under 18 year olds, but we have found a few companies who not just do - but specialise in covering them - so why not try them out? Do however read all the terms and conditions to ensure they fully meet your requirements (and that their policies haven't changed recently).

Flexicover - good for reassuring childrens travel policies

Flexicover cover two of the most common questions raised in their FAQ section:

Can I purchase a policy for my child only?
Yes, cover can be purchased for child only policies.

Will we be covered if we travel independently on our Annual Multi Trip policy?
Our Annual Multi Trip policies allow all named insured persons to be covered when travelling independently of each other.

I have a family Annual Multi-trip policy - will my children be covered if they go on a holiday with their school?
Our Annual Multi-trip policies allow all named insured persons to be insured when travelling independently of each other.

An advantage Flexicover has is its fantastic list of included sports and activities (see the policy document for full details) although do be aware that some benefits (including lost cash) has a lower limit for the under 18s.

They also allow Grandparents and Grandchildren to be covered together under a "family policy".


Also offered by Flexicover is a 10% discount if you register for their newsletter before buying your policy so if they are the company for you don't forget to do that!

Essential Travel - Travel Insurance policies designed for children

Essential Travel have a dedicated page of the website detailing their cover for under 18s travelling without parents. Their policy is designed for children travelling independently up to 18 years old on either Single Trip or Annual Multi Trip policy although they they need to be accompanied by a responsible adult on Annual policies.

This policy is specifically designed for children, and the companies 24 hour emergency helpline is used to looking after both children and their parents in case of an incident.

They additionally offer good cover for sporting activities, which means you can not only get cover if you are under 18, but also cover kite surfing if thats your sport!


Columbus Travel Insurance - cover children on family policies -

Columbus Direct - will cover children travelling alone if they are named on a family policy but if they are under 17 you need to advise the company of the name and contact details of an accompanying responsible adult whenever they travel.

They will also cover children on single trip policies in certain circumstances (schools trips as an example) - but only if you phone them. They do however also offer additional travel disturbance insurance - a real lifeline if a loved one is stranded away from home.

Direct Travel - Annual Family travel policies that allow independent travel by children

The Direct Travel policy is less onerous, their website states:

"Children travelling alone on their parent's annual multi trip policy must be accompanied by a responsible adult, such as a relative, guardian or school teacher. Their journey must not exceed the maximum amount of days permitted under the level of cover purchased.

31 days for Budget or Standard cover
45 days for Premier cover
62 days for Premier Plus cover

On an individual trip policy, we can offer cover for a child travelling alone but the full adult rate is payable, and the policy must be purchased by a responsible adult."

Its also worth noting that Direct have an optional add on for natural disaster cover.

moneymaxim always recommend you take independent financial advice before acting on any article.