01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Compare Cheap Car Insurance ideal for Winter Breaks to Europe

Car Insurance with long stay European Cover. Right for your season in the Snow. Skiing or Boarding for the season and taking your car? Find car insurance covering 90 days or more, 4 months, 5 months, 6 months - up to a year away.

Winter European Car Insurance

If you are looking to take your car to Europe over the next twelve months it's well worth taking this into consideration when buying your annual car insurance.

Whilst car insurance policies issued in the UK offer the minimum insurance for EU countries, (and Norway, Switzerland and Iceland) this is not something we would suggest any UK motorist should rely on. Minimum insurance normally covers third party risks only, and therefore a car insurance policy which mirrors the cover you have in the UK is highly recommended.

How to find Car Insurance with European cover

Use our car insurance comparison service when the results are published look out for the following names - all of which normally include European cover within their comprehensive policies (although do check the small print - as companies do change their policies!). Also be aware that in certain countries different rules apply - for instance car insurance for Slovenia and Croatia has to be bought as you enter the country.

  • Admiral
  • Budget
  • Diamond
  • Endsleigh
  • Elephant
  • Insure Your Motor

Others may do so as well - companies change their policies frequently - depending on the policy they offer you.

I want to take my car abroad for over 90 days

There are very few car insurers around who offer more than 90 days cover for use abroad.

However there are a few. If you are over 50 a great place to start your search is with Saga Car Insurance.

You will see on their car insurance homepage that: "Cover in the European Union - you can drive in the EU for an unlimited period, for no extra cost"

Saga Car Insurance

Another alternative is Aviva car insurance - who allow their policies to be upgraded, for an additional annual premium, to give you the same cover as you have in the UK for travel within most of Europe, for 6 months in any one period of insurance and no more than 90 days for any one trip.

You add the option for foreign use after you have received your quotation (see below).

Saga Car Insurance

If you are planning to take your car abroad for any significant period it is also worth checking the regulations that apply in the country you are visiting. All countries have a time period which means, once this has expired, your car will need to be taxed, insured and MOT'd in that country.

Borrowing a car?
Need Temporary Insurance or Short Term Cover for Europe?

Dayinsure provide specialist short term car insurance for driving in Europe - as long as your journey begins and ends in the UK.

Any other insurance request?

Give our team a call on 01183 218197 and we will do our best to help - alternatively drop us a line through our contact us page.

This information is based on journalistic investigation and research at the time of going to press as a service to our readers. It does not offer either financial, legal or any other advice that should be followed without your own enquiries. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. Any suggestions followed up are done so at your own risk and your own research is key.

Image courtesy of: Andrew Hill at geograph.org.uk

This content was last reviewed on 13/10/2021