01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Sally Wilson

Sally is a key member of the MoneyMaxim editorial team. She is a frequent hire-car user and often goes on holiday with her family. With an interest in getting great value for money, Sally shares her hints and tips for travelling and insurance.

A level results become public this Thursday - where will you be studying?

Don't forget your student insurance - it could save you money!


Up and down the country there will be many 18 year olds biting their nails in anticipation of their A level results which arrive on Thursday. Some will be delighted - celebrating achieving their first choice - while others may be looking at options through the clearing system. Whichever university you end up at, it will be the start of a great experience and for many of you it will be the first time living away from home. So as you are packing up your precious belongings to begin your new life - don't forget student insurance - it may save you from having to pay out a large amount to replace them in the event of a theft or an accident.

Protect Your Bubble are now offering 15% off gadget, travel and bike insurance for students for a limited time! To make the most of this offer, please visit our vouchers portal here.

Now there are even more options available for student insurance, to cover many different scenarios, including for those choosing to live at home while they are studying. Cover4students offer standalone policies for tuition fees - ideal if you do not need possessions cover because you are living with your parents. They also cater for foreign studies so, if you accept a place at a foreign university or your chosen course includes a period of study abroad, this type of policy is well worth considering. It can give you peace of mind when you are far away from home.

Once you know where you will be studying, and particularly which type of accommodation you will be in, you can find out what level of insurance is already included. Many halls of residence include a basic level of cover as part of your room agreement and you can top this up to the level you require with your own insurance. You can also choose to protect particular items such as bicycles, specialist equipment and keys. So, if your course involves sports gear, musical instruments or medical equipment for example, then you can find a policy, such as with Endsleigh, that will cover these specialist items.

If you are planning to take a laptop, tablet or phone with you - and especially if they will be taken out of your room to use in the library perhaps - separate gadget insurance is available. Many standard block halls cover will only protect items when they are kept in your room. And look out for additional cover for accidental damage - you will probably have to add this as an option as it is not often included as standard.

Whatever your results are on Thursday, we wish you the best of luck for your future. If you are unsure what to do about accepting places or are worried you may not have the results you need then there is advice available.