01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed
House Exchange or Home Swap Car Insurance

Find Car Insurance for your House Swap or Home Exchange holiday

Check your car insurance options if you are looking to home swap or home exchange.

Annual Policies allowing Overseas Residents to be Additional Drivers

Sterling Car Insurance
  • Policies which allow overseas residents to be added as named drivers
  • Cars up to 8 seats covered
  • Drivers from 21 upwards considered
  • Drivers from any country can be covered if they had a prior UK licence
  • Can also cover those with no UK history if they live in Western Europe and Scandinavia, Switzerland, the US, Canada, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand
  • Comprehensive EU cover available

Call Sterling on 01279 940331
Lines open: Monday – Friday: 9am – 7pm, Saturday: 9am – 2pm and Sunday: 10am – 2pm

Short Term Car Insurance from 1 to 84 days

Safely Insured Short Term Car Insurance
  • Cover from 1-84 days offered
  • Is in addition to existing car insurance held by owner
  • Cars and vehicles with up to 7 seats covered
  • Drivers from 18 - 75 with 12 months experience
  • Individual policy for each driver required
  • No Comprehensive European Cover offered


Short Term Car Insurance from 1 to 30 days

Day Insure Temporary Car Insurance
  • Policies available from one hour to 30 days
  • Is addition to car owners existing policy
  • More than one person can be covered on one policy
  • Covers most drivers from 18 - 75
  • UK licence holders only covered
  • Additional driver can be added


Also Consider Car Hire

Car Hire can be Cheaper!
  • Check Car Hire isn't cheaper
  • Test your options on the UK's most comprehensive car hire service
  • Drivers from 21 years old with 12 months experience


Need to find an car insurance policy to allow home exchangers from abroad to use your car?

We can help if you are looking to lend your car as well as your house to a home exchanger who is visiting from overseas.

However there are a number of factors you will need to take into consideration when deciding the best way to arrange this, as most UK car insurance policies will not allow you to add a non UK resident to your car insurance policy.

If your home swap is for a period of three months or more

The best way here is to ensure your standard car insurance policy will cover your home exchangers when you want to add them to your policy. As most policies will not this is best considered when your car insurance is up for renewal. Otherwise you may be faced with cancelling your existing policy (and paying any cancellation fees) prior to taking out a more flexible policy.

If you would like arrange a quotation for this we suggest talking to an insurer such as Sterling Insurance who can offer such policies.

They can help if the house swapper you want to add has had a UK licence at some time or, if they have no previous UK history live in one in the following countries:

Western Europe and Scandinavia, Switzerland, the US, Canada, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand.

To contact Sterling call them on 01279 940331. Their lines are open: Monday – Friday: 9am – 7pm, Saturday: 9am – 2pm and Sunday: 10am – 2pm.

Car Insurance if your house exchange is for less than three months - non UK driving licence

Visit our page offering car insurance for visitors to the UK - many non uk licence holders can be covered, but not all.

If not an easy solution is car hire for those who do not hold an appropriate UK driving licence. Compare car hire quotes with MoneyMaxim to find the best deal for your UK car hire..

House Exchanger wanting to buy their own car whilst here or moving to the UK permanently?

If your home swapper is making a more permanent move to the UK they may be wanting to purchase their own vehicle and get their own insurance - if that's the case have a look at our page covering Car Insurance for those moving to the UK.

This content was last reviewed on 11/06/2024