0800 520 0699
(or 0118 321 8197)
Monday to Thursday9am - 6:30pm
Friday9am - 5:30pm
Saturday9am - 5pm
Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Campervan Hire Excess Insurance

Compare Campervan Hire Insurance Policies with MoneyMaxim. Deals starting at £8.13 a day!

Not yet booked your Campervan? Check our Campervan hire prices now!

Campervan Hire Excess Insurance

Better cover for less!
Compare Campervan hire insurance policies. Reduce your Campervan Hire insurance excess to an affordable amount or even right down to nil and also cover your liability for damage to your campervans wheels, tyres, underbody and roof. Most policies also cover damage to the vehicles windscreen, mirrors and glass. Named drivers, lost keys and much more can also be covered.

Policies can be taken out covering a campervan for a specific period, although there is also a policy that will cover both cars and campervans on an annual basis. This annual policy does offer more limited cover in some respects, but can represent excellent value if your campervan has a lower excess limit.
Please select the appropriate category
I am a UK resident renting a Campervan in the UK or Europe
I am a UK resident renting a Campervan outside Europe, or need to cover an excess over £2,000
I am a non UK resident renting a Campervan in Europe
I am a non UK resident renting a Campervan outside the UK or Europe or need to cover an excess over £2,000

Campervan rental almost always includes insurance, normally consisting of Collision Damage Waiver (which covers the campervan itself), and Liability Insurance, which covers your 3rd party liability. Both are essential given the value of the vehicle you are renting, and, in most cases, the fact you will be driving an unfamiliar, and probably much larger vehicle than you are used to. Campervan hire policies do however normally come with an a excess (the portion of any claim you remain liable for) which normally starts around £500, and frequently is over £1,000.

Do therefore check your campervan hire agreement carefully, checking any areas of doubt with your campervan rental company. Don't leave this until you are about to pick up your Campervan as from the time you book the vehicle you will have become bound by the terms and conditions.

Campervan Hire Insurance

Campervan Hire Insurance - hints and tips

Campervan Hire Excess Insurance - What to check for

We have seen many copies of Campervan excess waiver policies from right round the world, and some leave a lot of liability as the responsibility of the rentor - so do be careful when looking through your paperwork - the following are some of the key features to watch out for.

  • The cost of any excess cover - the average we tend to see is around £15 per day.
  • Do policies reduce or remove the excess? Policies sold through MoneyMaxim reduce the excess to £350 or less, whilst some hire firms only reduce it to £500.
  • Exclusions - Campervan excess policies bought through MoneyMaxim cover the tyres, wheels, glass, underbody and roof. You will find almost all campervan rental firms exclude these areas. Bearing in mind the costs of replacing a windscreen if it is chipped, a tyre if it's punctured or the cost of roof damage, this is highly valuable cover. Policies also cover lost keys.
  • Inside your campervan - Most policies, including those from Questor and Worldwide, exclude damage to the interior of the vehicle - so do look after your motor home!
  • Parking or reversing accidents - Many policies (not those available through MoneyMaxim) exclude reversing accidents or parking incidents. That is potentially dangerous as many of us are unused to manoeuvring vehicles of this size.
  • Liability for reimbursing the hire firm if the campervan is damaged and can't be hired out when you return it - You can remain liable for an ongoing bill even after you have dropped it off. If the rental firm has to take the campervan off the road for a week or so you could be stomping up the rental fee they have lost.
Liability Insurance

Unfortunately stand alone Supplementary Liability Insurance for campervans isn't, as far as we are aware, available in the UK, and is not part of the cover offered on the excess insurance policies available through MoneyMaxim. This means your liability cover is limited to that offered by your campervan rental firm.

In many cases this is not a problem, but we are regularly approached for such policies by those renting in the US (especially Alaska), where the minimum liability cover rental firms have to provide is determined by the state, and can be woefully inadequate.

If you have any queries regarding Campervan Hire Excess insurance please don't hesitate to call the MoneyMaxim team.

This information is based on journalistic investigation and research. It is not financial advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. Any suggestions followed up are done so at your own risk and your own research is key. Prices and features checked and correct as at 8th April 2019.