01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Compare Insurance for International Students

We look at what insurance is available for overseas students studying in the UK

young woman student

Some standard student insurance policies are not available to international students as they are not considered resident here. Travel insurance is not normally adequate as they rarely offer cover longer trips, nor do they provide the additional cover that students may need during their stay here in the UK.

Following the withdrawal of Endsleigh from the student insurance market and the demise of their medical Insurance policy for international students whilst in the UK , options are more limited. We have found two providers who can help international students studying in the UK with their contents insurance.


Cover4Insurance can offer possessions cover to international students which includes the option to add Repatriation cover.

Visit Coverforinsurance International Student Insurance for an instant quote.

Why consider Cover4Insurance?

Cover4Insurance student contents & possessions insurance, is designed with international students in mind.

They, offer, for example, options to extend cover to include the costs of emergency medical repatriation of the student (covering burial costs or repatriation of a students body should they die whilst at university or college in the UK).

Standard benefits include

  • Personal Possessions (at Insured Address)
  • Landlords Property | Tenants Liability cover
  • Liability For Rented Household Goods
  • Replacement Locks and Keys
  • Credit Cards (up to £500)
  • Personal Money (up to £50)
  • Educational Establishment Property On Loan (such as books or research material)
  • Accidental Death or Redundancy Of A Financially Supporting Parent Or Guardian

Additional optional upgrades, as well as Repatriation Cover, include

Laptop, iPads & Portable Computers - either at the insured address or out and about as well. Accidental Damage — Item Limits Apply. Course Fees and Rental Protection — up to £20,000. as well as a wide range of others

A few highlights of the policy include new for old cover, and walk in theft cover (which unusually means you are covered if there is no evidence of forcible entry to your room). The policy also features a really low excess of £10, meaning students are not put off making a claim if they suffer a loss.

This policy is designed for students living in private rented accommodation, designated halls of residence or shared accommodation and are studying at a UK university or college.

Urban Jungle

Urban Jungle can offer Renter's Insurance to students provided that their accommodation is their main residence.

Visit Urban Jungle for an immediate quote.

Why choose Urban Jungle for renter's insurance when you are a foreign student.

Urban Jungle can offer a low cost option to those looking to insure their belongings whilst they are away from home studying. Prices start at just £60 for a year's cover.

  • Accidental damage as standard
  • Personal Possessions up to your policy limit
  • £5000 tenants liability cover
  • Laptops and mobile phones included in personal possessions

This could be a great option for those with a higher value of personal possessions as they can offer cover up to £50,000 which is much higher than other student insurance providers.

Your policy can be customised by adding optional extras such as 'Out of Home' cover for those items that leave the house with you such as bikes, phones, laptops and jewellery.

Urban Jungle cannot provide cover for households of more than 6 but up to this number, housemates can be covered under the same policy.

Evidence of forcible entry is necessary for a theft claim (there is no walk-in theft cover) but this type of student possessions insurance policy may suit those living in a bedsit or single occupancy flat where walk-in thefts are less likely.

Urban Jungle will not cover you if your residence is left empty for more than 30 days. If you are unclear whether your accommodation is your 'main' residence then please speak to Urban Jungle to clarify.

Image courtesy of: Juan Ramos on Unsplash

This content was last reviewed on 25/07/2023