01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Compare Student Gap Year Travel Insurance

Find the right gap year insurance to cover all your planned travel and activities

Gap Year Travel Insurance

Gap year holidays are not your average holiday. For a start, most will last a lot longer! For many young people taking time out from student life, a gap year is an opportunity to see as many of the amazing cities and sights of the world as possible. Most gap years are only partly planned. Flexibility and spontaneity are all part of the fun. Therefore you need your gap year travel insurance to work with you.

But backpacking holidays are not just for students! A long break from working life can be just what some people need to reenergise and recharge the batteries. Many of the long stay and backpacker policies cover up to a fairly mature age.

If you are the kind of person who might make a last minute decision to go windsurfing or abseiling then checking which activities are covered is key. If you are travelling with a group, then a benefit of having the same insurer as your friends is that you will all be covered for the same activities. Noone will be left out! We compare cover for bungee jumping, white water rafting, scuba diving and safaris below.

We also display those insurers that will help if you have a pre existing medical condition. Be open and honest about any medical issues you may have had in the past - not declaring a past medical condition may, in some circumstances, mean your insurance is invalid. If you are the other side of the world and this happens, it can get very expensive - especially for a student!.

We regularly check the details of policies featured on our site but as companies can amend or change details at short notice please double check all the details before purchasing.

CompanyProductOnline DiscountAges CoveredTrip DurationMedical CoverExisting Medical Condition CoverBungee JumpScuba Diving to 30mWhitewater Rafting Grade 1 or 2Safari TripsMore Info
Post Office Post Office Backpackers Economy0%18 - 601 month-18 months£5mOptionalOptionalYesYesYesFind out more...

Need to purchase the additional Sports Upgrade to cover Bungee jumps

Worldwide InsureWorldwide Insure Longstay Economy0%18 - 493 months - 18 months£5mOptionalYesYesOptionalYesFind out more...

White water rafting grades 1 and 2 can be covered by paying an additional premium

Columbus DirectColumbus Direct Backpacker0%18 - 6560 days - 365 days£1mOptionalYesYesYesYesFind out more...

Gap Year Travel Insurance

If you are taking a year out before taking up your place at University or going out to work, you will be looking for a policy that will offer you the reassurance that you are well covered for any events that might occur while you are away. Given that Gap Year holidays tend to be longer, the chances of something happening are greater. You may have to change your plans and this is where flexibility is important. It is therefore a good idea to ask the following questions when considering your Gap Year travel insurance policy.

Does my Gap Year policy allow me to return home during my trip?

You may not be planning to pop back to the UK during your trip but events can occur which make it necessary. Some policies automatically end immediately when you return to the UK, even if you have bought a policy covering a longer period. Others will allow at least one return visit, sometimes more.

Do you plan on working abroad?

If so, check the policy details carefully to make sure that this is covered. Some policies may not be valid if you are working.

Taking your laptop, jewellery or other valuables with you?

If you are taking any more expensive items with you (such as cameras, laptops, jewellery, tablets or mobile phones) check the policy limit. You may need to get these covered under a specialist gadget insurance policy or perhaps through your Home Insurance. Most gadget insurance policies will enable you to insure a gadget for up to 90 days abroad, but this can increase to an unlimited period (as long as your permanent residence is in the UK) for laptops. Compare gadget insurance here.

This content was last reviewed on 22/03/2024