01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed
Car Insurance Covering Non UK Licence Holders as Additional Drivers

Car Insurance Allowing Non UK Residents to be Additional Drivers

If you are looking to add a relative or friend as an additional driver when they visit from overseas we can help

Car Insurance Brokers who offer Policies Allowing Non UK Drivers to be Added

Academy Insurance Foreign Driver Unit
  • Specialist team for non UK licence holders
  • Can cover non UK residents as additional drivers
  • Also cover UK licence holders returning from abroad
  • Will cover those staying for more than 3 months or those moving to UK permanently

Short Term Car Insurance from 1 to 28 days for Non UK Licence Holders or Residents

Day Insure
  • Policies from one hour -30 days
  • Covers drivers aged from 19 - 75
  • Specially reduced MoneyMaxim prices
  • Car must be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
  • UK, EU, EEA, Australian, NZ, South African and Swiss licence holders covered
  • Vehicle must have no more than 8 seats
  • Additional driver can be added


Temp Cover Short Term Car Insurance
  • Cover from 1-28 days offered
  • Cars, vans and vehicles with up to 8 seats covered
  • Most drivers from 17 - 78 covered
  • UK (Full and Provisional), EU and International Driving licence holders covered but drivers MUST HAVE RESIDED IN UK FOR 12 MONTHS, or be a BRITISH EXPAT WHO PREVIOUSLY LIVED IN THE UK
  • Comprehensive EU cover available


insuredaily Short Term Car Insurance
  • Cover from 1-28 days offered
  • Cars and vehicles with up to 8 seats covered
  • Drivers from 19 - 75 with 12 months experience


If you have visitors coming from overseas it might seem a great idea to add them to your car insurance - it gives them the independence to get out and about and saves you becoming an unpaid taxi driver.

However that may be easier said than done. Adding a driver from abroad to a UK car Insurance policy is something that many policies cannot cater for. They will only allow UK residents to be added.

Fortunately we can assist - in one of two ways.

If you know that this is likely to be an ongoing situation - say you have a relative who visits from time to time and you want to be able to allow them to use your car we have an insurer who offers policies that will allow a non UK licence holder to be an additional driver.

Please remember this is best done at renewal of your existing policy as otherwise you could face cancellation costs from your current insurer.

Our Specialist Insurance Broker will connect you to insurers that will allow you to add a foreign licence holder or resident to your insurance. Pop your details into the form below and we will arrange a callback very shortly.

For temporary visitors, rather than adding them to your policy an alternative is for them to take out Short Term Car Insurance for UK visitors. which covers them whilst they are behind the wheel of your car.

It's perfect for those wanting to borrow a car from family or friends particularly if its only for a few days, or likely to be a one off visit.

Only certain licences are permitted however - so see the individual company details to see if your visitors licence is one that can be covered.

Can my visitors drive my car in the UK using a Overseas Driving Licence?

Normally the answer is yes, but bear the following in mind:

  • Visitors with a full and valid licence from a country in the EU or European Economic Area can drive for an indeterminate period (although the rules could change at the end of the year when the Brexit transition period ends)..
  • Visitors from other countries can drive for a year starting from when they last entered Great Britain.
  • EU/EEA licence holders taking up residence in the UK can drive up to the age of 70 or for 3 years whichever is longer.
  • Holders of licences from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe can drive for 12 months from when they become resident. They may also exchange their licence for a UK one within 5 years of becoming resident.
  • Residents from other countries can drive for a year from when they became resident in GB.

For more information visit the www.gov.uk driving, transport and travel pages: Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence.

This content was last reviewed on 06/07/2020

Image courtesy of: Peter Holmes