01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed
Short Term Car Insurance for UK Visitors

Short Term Car Insurance for Visitors to the UK

Find and compare short term car insurance. Live overseas but want to insure a car you keep in the UK, or a friend's or relation's car whilst here? We can help!

Short Term Car Insurance from 1 to 30 days

Day Insure
  • Policies available from one hour to 30 days
  • Covers most drivers from 18 - 75
  • Additional driver can be added


Short Term Car Insurance from 1 to 28 days

Temp Cover Short Term Car Insurance
  • Cover from 1-28 days offered
  • Cars, vans and vehicles with up to 8 seats covered
  • Drivers from 17 - 78 covered
  • Comprehensive EU cover available


Medium Term Car Insurance from 3 to 12 months

Academy Medium Term Car Insurance
  • Cover from 3 to 12 months available
  • Cars, motorbikes, vans and vehicles with up to 8 seats covered
  • Drivers from 17 upwards considered
  • Licence holders from any country can be covered.
  • You may be required to take a UK test and obtain a UK licence if your licence is not from the Uk, a European Union country or one of the following countries: Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.
  • Comprehensive EU cover available

Also Consider Car Hire

Car Hire can be Cheaper!
  • Check Car Hire isn't cheaper
  • Test your options on the UK's most comprehensive car hire service
  • Drivers from 21 - 75 with 12 months experience


Can Visitors to the UK find short term car insurance?

Yes. Policies are available if you meet the following criteria:

  • You have a valid driving licence from one of these countries: UK, EU/EEA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or Switzerland, and are aged between 18 and 75

  • We can also find cover for 17 year olds who are UK or EU licence holders now living in the European Union.

If you’re planning a trip back to the UK for business or pleasure and you meet this criteria a short term policy is an easy and straightforward way to get comprehensive insurance.

If you are looking for short term car insurance to cover you whilst on a UK visit, temporary car insurance is readily available. Whether you are an expat returning home to see the family or a non UK resident visiting the UK and looking to borrow a car whilst here, we have policies which can help you. Some of the reasons our non UK based clients use short term car insurance include the following:

  • You used to live in the UK, and plan to return so you have mothballed a vehicle in storage here. It's off the road and uninsured but you now want to use it during a visit.
  • You have family or friends who own a car and you want to borrow it during your stay. Borrowing it can be a lot cheaper than hiring - but don't risk their car or their insurance policy - taking out your own short term car insurance policy means you protect their no-claims bonus and ensures your friends remain friends!
  • Rather than renting you decide to buy an older vehicle to use as your chariot during your stay.
  • Maybe you live here but are going to lend your car out to friends or family visiting the UK. Ensure your no-claims bonus is safe - especially as it will be on unfamiliar roads and a different vehicle for them. Take out a short term car insurance policy and you are covered.
  • Visitors from the EU should note that the insurers require a passport number and a European ID card is not accepted.

Different companies do appeal in different circumstances, hence we discuss the strengths of a variety of companies - so here are a few thoughts you might want to take into account when you are searching for a short term car insurer.

Please note that this can only be purchased by a debit or credit card owned by the person that the insurance is in the name of, it cannot be purchased by a third party. Some customers have reported that you may not be able to run a quote or pay for it outside the UK so you may have to wait until you are in the UK before purchasing.

Short Term Car Insurance for Non UK Residents

Day Insure

Day Insure – Covers Australian, New Zealand, South African and Swiss residents as well as UK, EC and EEA policyholders.

Flexible policies offering cover from just one day up to 30 days. Ideal if you need to borrow a car for a weekend or want to borrow one for a few weeks whilst on a visit to the UK. The Day Insure policy covers not just UK, EC and EEA licence holders, but also drivers with AUSTRALIAN, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICAN and SWISS licences. The company may not quote on some vehicles over 10 years old for overseas residents. Insurance quotations from Day Insure are provided online only. Non residents should use their home address when requesting a quote.

If you are unable to find cover from Day Insure do try getting a car hire quotation instead.

Short Term Car Insurance for UK Residents (or past UK Residents now living in the EU) with an EU Licence

Temp Cover

Temp Cover - UK (full and provisional), EU and International Driving licence holders covering for UK use and an option to extend comprehensive cover to EU countries. Tempcover policyholders do however need to have been permanently resident in the UK for 12 months, or a British expat who previously lived in the UK.

Temp Cover offer the additional option of allowing you to buy comprehensive cover if you are planning on taking the car to another EU country.

Mid Term Car Insurance (3 - 12 months) for licence holders from any country

If you are here for longer - i.e. three months or more we can also arrange for a broker we have a relationship with to call you with a view to arranging a policy which will cover you whilst in the UK. You will need a fixed address to which correspondence can be directed to. If you would like to arrange a call to discuss this further please complete to form by clicking the button below.

Moving to the UK permanently?

If your move to the UK is permanent, you'll want a longer term solution. See our page for Car Insurance for those moving to the UK.

Consider Car Hire Instead

Lastly do consider renting a car instead - it might be cheaper! Try our car hire comparison service for great rates, and don't forget - before you pay for expensive excess insurance at the Car Hire station we also offer that cheaper through our Car Hire Excess Insurance comparison service.

This content was last reviewed on 16/07/2020