01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed
Car Insurance for those New to the UK

Car Insurance for those moving to the UK

If you have just arrived in the UK and need to insure a car, it can be difficult to know where to start. We explain the ins and outs of car insurance for those moving to the UK.

Compare Car Insurance with MoneyMaxim
  • Wide panel of 90+ insurers
  • Online or on the phone - call 0118 321 8197 (option 3)
  • Full or provisional licences, non-UK accepted
  • Instant quotes


Car Insurance Brokers specialising in drivers with overseas experience

Academy Insurance Foreign Driver Unit
  • Specialist team for non UK licence holders
  • Also cover UK licence holders returning from abroad
  • Will cover those staying for more than 3 months or those moving to UK permanently

Adrian Flux Insurance Brokers
  • Specialist car insurers
  • Can help with stays over 6 months
  • EU licences accepted with reduced residency
  • Must have licence valid in UK for full year
  • Call Adrian Flux now on 0800 181 4542

Adrian Flux Insurance Brokers

Short Term Car Insurance from 1 to 28 days

Day Insure
  • Policies from one hour -30 days
  • Covers drivers aged from 19 - 75
  • Specially reduced MoneyMaxim prices -NON UK RESIDENTS COVERED
  • Car must be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
  • UK, EU, EEA, Australian, NZ, South African and Swiss licence holders covered
  • Vehicle must have no more than 8 seats
  • Additional driver can be added


Temp Cover Short Term Car Insurance
  • Cover from 1-28 days offered
  • Cars, vans and vehicles with up to 8 seats covered
  • Most drivers from 17 - 78 covered
  • UK (Full and Provisional), EU and International Driving licence holders covered but drivers MUST HAVE RESIDED IN UK FOR 12 MONTHS, or be a BRITISH EXPAT WHO PREVIOUSLY LIVED IN THE UK
  • Comprehensive EU cover available


These long term insurance options are only suitable for those taking up UK residency. For short term visitors, try our Short Term Car Insurance for UK visitors.

First try our comparison service

Our car insurance comparison service should be your first destination - it is designed to help those with full or provisional driving licences from other EEC countries, full licences from other European countries or licences from other countries worldwide - either those which require exchanging for a UK licence or those which do not.

It also allows you to insure either a car bought in the UK, or one you have imported (that may have been built to EEC specifications for example).

For most customers this will produce competitive car insurance quotations from a wide range of UK insurers, but, if you still face difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact us as above.

Specialist Insurance Brokers

Online comparison services are great but you might not be ticking the right boxes. Our Specialist Insurance Brokers can connect you to insurers that can give you credit for your driving experience and good driving history abroad when considering insurance quotes. Pop your details into the form below and we will arrange a callback very shortly.

Short Term Car Insurance for those visiting or moving to the UK

Our short term car insurance page details companies which can cover a wide range of different circumstances - and is ideal both for those wanting to borrow a car from friends or family, or re-insure a car they have stored whilst away.

Can I drive a car in the UK using my Overseas Driving Licence?

In general, yes you can for at least a year:

  • Visitors with a full and valid licence from a country in the EU or European Economic Area can drive for as long as their visit.
  • Visitors from other countries can drive for a year starting from when you last entered Great Britain.
  • EU/EEA licence holders taking up residence in the UK can drive up to the age of 70 or for 3 years whichever is longer.
  • Holders of licences from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe can drive for 12 months from when they become resident. They may also exchange their licence for a UK one within 5 years of becoming resident.
  • Residents from other countries can drive for a year from when they became resident in GB.

This is not a complete list, for further information and to check for any updates please refer to this handy guide from the www.gov.uk driving, transport and travel pages: Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence.

This content was last reviewed on 23/03/2020