01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed
Compare & Buy Car Hire Excess Insurance

Looking for something specific?

Use our search tool to browse our database of frequently asked questions!

FAQ Section > Car Hire Insurance Frequently Asked Questions > How are Car Hire Excess Insurance claims handled?

How are Excess Insurance Claims handled?

We explain how claims on a car hire excess insurance policy are handled.

If you need to claim under a car hire insurance policy the process is pretty straightforward. Follow the instructions issued with your policy. It is always a good idea to read about the claims process of your chosen provider before you travel. That way you will know what you will need should you have an accident and before you leave the car hire desk.

Almost all claims on an excess insurance policy and modest claims on CDW / SLI policies would be paid for by yourself (with the car rental company debiting your credit card which you used for pre-authorisation) and reclaimed from the excess insurer afterwards. For larger claims on an SLI / CDW policy these can sometimes be dealt with directly between the insurer and rental firm - if at all concerned just contact your car hire insurer - they will be happy to help as it's in their interests that your claim is handled properly!

It is likely that on contacting your insurer, that they will ask for details of the incident and documentation to support your claim. This evidence may include some or all of the following so please do retain any such paperwork:

  • The original Vehicle Rental Agreement
  • A copy of the Car Hire Certificate of Insurance
  • The receipt for the rental (if separate from the Vehicle Rental Agreement)
  • Copies of any invoices, receipts, or other documents confirming any amount you have paid in respect of the incident for which you are claiming
  • Front and back copy of the driving licence of the person driving the Rental Vehicle involved in the accident (the driver), and photo card. You may also be asked for other forms of identification
  • If the incident requires the attendance of the Police you may be asked to send the original copy of any police report (and a police report will be required if you are claiming for any theft, either of the vehicle or personal belongings)
  • A copy of the Rental Company's accident damage report
  • A copy of the your credit card statement showing payment of the damages claimed If you have paid for any costs (such as your credit card being debited with an excess) you will, upon successful completion of any claim, be reimbursed directly, whilst if the incident is handled by your car hire company then reimbursement will be direct to them.

We are here to answer any questions you may have either by phone 0118 321 8197 or via our online webchat service.

Visit the MoneyMaxim car hire insurance comparison site

This content was last reviewed on 11/10/2023

Similar Questions

Claims related Questions Answered

General Car Hire Insurance Questions Answered

Your Driver related Questions Answered

Car Hire Companies - Your Insurance Questions Answered

Daily and Annual Policy related Questions Answered

Excess Insurance Questions Answered

Vehicle related Questions Answered

Purchase related Questions Answered

Excess Insurance Questions Specific to Countries

Combined Worldwide CDW, SLI & Excess Policy Questions Answered

Questions on CDW & SLI Policies for the USA and Canada Answered

Geographical related Questions Answered

Car Rental Keys Questions Answered