All the policies offered through the panel of insurers we partner with include Roadside Assistance so that your vehicle will be repaired at the roadside if at all possible and Local Recovery meaning that if a roadside repair isn't possible your vehicle will be towed to a nearby garage or your home address.
The car breakdown service allows you to compare policies at a glance to see which is most appropriate for you. You can select to just display policies that include particular features such as Home Start, European cover, ongoing assistance with Alternative Travel, Car Hire or Hotel accommodation while your car is being repaired or if they offer a Relief Driver if the main driver is taken ill.
Policies will offer either cover for the vehicle or the person, so select the type that better suits your requirements. If you have just one vehicle but more than one driver in the household vehicle cover is likely to be better for you, but if you use a number of different vehicles you will probably find personal cover is preferable.
The AA and RAC aren't on the comparison table so use the adverts below to get comparative quotes from them. Both these companies tend to offer very attractive introductory discounts so that year one prices are lower - make sure you remember that in 12 months time when your renewal is due and shop around again then.
We search seven of the most competitive car,van and motor bike breakdown insurers, including Autonational Rescue, Breakdown Direct, GEM Motoring Assist, Green Insurance, Insurance Choice, RescueMyCar.com, NCI Vehicle Rescue PLC and Tick Direct. We have found them to be high quality yet some of the cheapest in the market. In particular GEM were ranked 2nd nationally in the 2012 AutoExpress readers survey, which saw Churchill, Tesco, National Breakdown, Direct Line and Green Flag in the bottom half of their overall performance table.
Why pick the AA?
The UK's largest breakdown organisation.
4 out of 5 cars fixed at the roadside
Repairs completed in under 30 mins on average
Someone rescued by the AA every 9 seconds
Defaqto 5 star service
Why join RAC?
Get two months FREE* RAC Breakdown Cover
12 months for the price of 10 on new, personal based Roadside & Recovery and selected levels above on annual continuous payment direct from RAC.
98% of members would recommend RAC Rescue to their friends and family.
Patrols fix 4 out of 5 vehicles at the roadside.
More patrols per member than any other breakdown organisation.
Britains most experienced provider with 115 years experience.
RAC can come to your rescue if you have an accident
*Terms and Conditions
1. Two months free is 12 months breakdown cover for the price of 10 on an annual UK breakdown membership.
2. You must purchase Personal Based membership on one of the following cover combinations to qualify:
Other cover options or optional extras may be added, but will not be subject to the discount
3. Purchases must be made direct from RAC by calling 0844 891 3111 or from www.rac.co.uk between 12 March 2015 and 12 May 2015
4. Offer is only available to new RAC Members and applies for the first year of membership on an annual continuous payment method only. Not available to customers amending or renewing an existing policy.
5. This offer is not available to new customers who purchase RAC Breakdown cover via voucher code or cash back websites.
6. No cash alternatives available.
7. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and may be withdrawn at any time.
This service is operated on our behalf by Seopa Limited.
This content was last reviewed on 03/07/2015