01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Sally Wilson

Sally is a key member of the MoneyMaxim editorial team. She is a frequent hire-car user and often goes on holiday with her family. With an interest in getting great value for money, Sally shares her hints and tips for travelling and insurance.

Temporary Car Insurance - a really flexible way to insure a borrowed car

We can help you find car insurance for short periods from just one day cover.

driving car

In today's world we often have friends and family who live all around the country and sometimes overseas too. It's great to get together but sometimes that involves juggling transport needs so you can make the most of the visit. Short term car insurance makes it possible to cover a borrowed car from just one day up to 28 days.

These days it is fairly unusual for car insurance policies to cover additional drivers who do not reside in the UK so adding them to your own cover may not be possible. Even when they can be covered there is the risk that, if they were to have an accident in your car, any claim would impact your no claims bonus. No one wants to fall out over insurance! Short term policies are completely separate comprehensive policies which will keep your no claims bonus and therefore your friendship intact.

If you have friends staying they may wish to borrow your car for a day out or perhaps you are visiting family and want to share the driving. Hiring a car may not be the ideal transport solution as you may not live near a car rental company or you may not know when you will need a car. Temporary car insurance can be sorted very quickly to enable you all to get on and enjoy the rest of your time together.

There are many reasons why you may just need to insure a car for one day - a shared day out, a child home from university wanting to borrow your car, or needing to use a larger car to transport an item of furniture perhaps. You can even use short term car insurance to insure your house swap guests on your own vehicle while they are staying at your property.

Temporary car insurance is a flexible way of covering your car or that of your friends or family member. It is available to those with a UK or EU/EEA licence as well as Swiss, Canadian, Austrailian, New Zealand, South African and several other Commonwealth country licence holders. If you require longer than 28 days cover then it is possible to apply for a second policy when the first one ends.

Image courtesy of: Matheus Ferrero on Unsplash