01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Andrew Daniel

Andrew leads our Operational Team and is our expert when it comes to all the ins and outs of car hire excess insurance.

Tevez Doesn’t Challenge Driving Ban on Grounds of Exceptional Hardship

Having accepted a temporary ban for driving after failing to produce a valid driving licence, we offer a few hints for other overseas motorists.

Two days after police impounded his Porsche Panamera on the 15th November, because he could not produce a full UK driving licence, Carlos Tevez remained in good humour with a goal celebration mimicking driving after scoring against Aston Villa.

On Monday he received a temporary driving ban from Lancaster magistrates for a previous alleged speeding offence for which again Tevez could not provide a full UK driving licence.

His solicitor Gwyn Lewis is known to his regulars at Manchester City FC as "Merlin the Magician”. Previous successful defences include the case of the sleepwalking drink driver arguing he couldn't have committed the offence because he was asleep at the time. He seems to have met his match with Tevez's actions as the ban was requested by Mr Lewis so that the "no licence” case from Manchester could be dealt with at the same time.

Mr Lewis said "He has been told that he will not be able to drive this morning.”

Sentencing will take place on December 20th at Lancaster Magistrates.

This isn't the first car Tevez has had impounded. Three years ago his Bentley was impounded after being stopped on the M60 for illegally tinted windows. A lack of valid licence resulted in the car being removed. It is not known whether Carlos has managed to retrieve his cars or simply regards them as disposable.

Tevez's home country of Argentina doesn't have any special agreements with the UK to allow licences to be swapped. As such, he was entitled to drive in the UK for a year but should then apply for a provisional UK licence and pass British theory and practical tests.

Drivers from the EU (and European Economic Area) taking up residence in the UK can use their EU/EEA licence up to the age of 70 or for 3 years, whichever is longer.

Great Britain has reciprocal arrangements with other countries that mean licences can be exchanged for UK ones if done within 5 years of becoming resident in the UK. The designated countries are Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe. Similar arrangements are in place for Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

If you are taking up UK residency and need to insure a car, check out our guide toCar Insurance for those moving to the UK