01183 218197
(+44 118 321 8197 from abroad)
Monday to Friday10am - 4:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Bank HolsClosed

Looking for something specific?

Use our search tool to browse our database of frequently asked questions!

FAQ Section > Van Hire Frequently Asked Questions >

What sort of Driving Licence do I need to be able to rent a van?

If you are unsure whether you've got the right driving licence to hire a van, continue reading to find out what you need!

UK drivers who passed their ordinary car driving test before 1 January 1997 will normally have been issued an old style UK driving licence showing vehicles of Group A or a new style EC driving licence showing vehicles of Categories B, C1 and D1. Drivers who passed their ordinary driving test after 1 January 1997 are only issued a driving licence showing vehicles of Category B (up to 8 passenger seats). Categories C1 and D1 are no longer issued automatically, and you may find that if you return your licence to the DVLA for any reason these categories are removed by the DVLA. Check your own licence carefully.

Driving licence Category D (9 or more passenger seats) or Category D1 (9 to 16 passenger seats). All drivers of minibuses (9-16 passenger seats) are required to hold a valid driving licence showing either Group A on an old style UK licence or Category B & D or D1 on a new EC style licence issued in any EU country. Drivers who passed the car test (Category B) after 1 January 1997 and who wish to drive a minibus are required to take a further statutory driving test for vehicles in Category D or D1. A further Driving Test may be required to tow a trailer (Category E). However; certain drivers who passed the car test (Category B) after 1 January 1997 are permitted to drive a vehicle in Category D1 (minibuses) without the need for a further test subject to the following conditions:

  1. A full driving licence has been held for at least two years.
  2. The driver receives no payment (or any other consideration) other than out of pocket expenses (i.e. they are a volunteer).
  3. The vehicle is driven for social purposes only.
  4. There is no trailer attached.
  5. The maximum authorised mass (mam) of the vehicle does not exceed 3.5 tonnes or, if fitted with specialised equipment used for disabled passengers, does not exceed 4.25 tonnes.

If you are at all unsure please give us a call or check with the DVLA as requirements do change.

This content was last reviewed on 10/10/2022

Similar Questions

Van Hire Booking Frequently Asked Questions

Van Hire Return Frequently Asked Questions

Van Hire Whilst Driving Frequently Asked Questions

Van Hire Collection Frequently Asked Questions

Van Hire Insurance Frequently Asked Questions